20100701

be careful what you ask for...

When I was in middle school, my friends and I competed annually in Bible Drill back at F.O.G.B.C. Ahh, the good ol' days, lol. For those of you who have no idea, Bible Drill is basically a competition of memorizing bible verses, bible book locations, & finding them quickly in those standard burgundyish-red hardback bibles, lol. Literally. We had these long lists of bible verses we had to memorize so that when it came down to competition time, we'd know our stuff. So, my friends and I used to do everything we could -- using songs & all types of random techniques -- to try to memorize everything. Well, this afternoon, I woke up humming one of the songs my friend had made up (mind you, this was YEARS ago. Why was this song stuck in my head? lol)

"Ask and it will be given to you,
Seek and you will find.
Knock and the door will be opened you,
Luke 11:9."
(Shoutout to LaKeva G. for realizing that rhymed, lol)

Haha, so random but instead of dismissing it, I decided to think about how it applied to anything going on in my life. I started to think about it different then. Seek and you will find. Usually, when I think about this verse, I think about it as:

1. ask for the things you need (not necessarily material things, but you get me) and you'll receive it.
2. seek for something (answers, wisdom, revelation, knowledge, etc) and you will find it.
3. knock (Figuratively, on the door of opportunity) and the door will be opened for you.

No problem looking at it that way, considering that it is pretty much the most straightforward way of looking into the verse. I just like to find alternative ways of understanding scriptures when I can.

Today's interpretation: If you are seeking to find something, especially when it comes to finding fault in something or someone, undoubtedly -- you will find it. If you decide to investigate a suspicion (whether rational or irrational) in a particular situation, you'll find something to validate what you are looking for. If you seeking to find fault in someone, you'll find it. If you're looking for a reason NOT to pursue something (i.e. a relationship) with someone, you'll find a reason not to. I think it's important that we be careful what we ask for and what kind of answers we look for. If you know that you are not mature enough to handle the truth about a situation -- don't go investigating it and setting yourself up. I can almost guarantee that you will not like what you find! I believe that there is "Not So Good" in every good person & in every good situation. If you go seeking it out, you'll find it. That's why we need to be careful and realize that the bad isn't what we should be seeking out in situations.
If there is an issue that needs to be brought to our attention (i.e. red flags), they will reveal themselves in due season.
No need to try to find them.
Enjoy the good in people.
Be happy In Your Happiness.
Don't ruin it by trying to find possible faults & imperfections.
Random ramblings.


No comments:

Post a Comment